Sunday, February 11, 2007

Fatwa On Marrying A Convert

Fatwa on marrying a convert

Question:

What is the opinion of the fuqaha in the following matter: A sharīf converted a cobbler woman (non-muslim) to Islam, married her and brought her home. When his kin came to know that this sharīf has tarnished the name of a family of Qadiri Sayyids and keeps a cobbler- woman covered (in Hijâb) at home, [they were enraged].

This woman has been a widow for the past two years. All the muslims in the neighborhood and the Hindus [joined them] uncovered the woman, dragged her out in the street; they humiliated and dishonored this woman. Non-mahram men even beat her and they locked her up in the police station.

My question is, does Allah Azzowajal and His Rasool Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam permit such treatment of this newly convert woman?

Are those who treated this woman in such a manner sinful or the sharif who converted her and married her?

Is it permitted by the shariáh to boycott this sharif and expel him from the community?

Is there any way that the woman can become an equal (kufw)?

[Sayyid Ábd al-Karīm Qādiri Rizwi, Masjid Gharib Shah, Pahar Ganj, Delhi. Shawwāl the 9th, 1339 Hijri]

Answer:

To convert someone to Islam is an act of great virtue that shall beget a great reward. It is also a good deed to marry her and keep her veiled in his home. To expel (such a man who does so) from the community or boycott him is gross oppression and cruelty.

Those who treated that muslim woman (as described above) have committed a grave sin. It is Haram and emphatically Haram, oppression and cruelty to do so. Whosoever has done so has transgressed the rights of men. (ĥaqq al-íbād) Allah Azzowajal and His Rasool Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam will be unhappy with such people. For a pubert man, there is no condition that the woman should be an equal.

And Allāh knows best.

[Fatāwā ar-Riđawiyyah, Kitab an-Nikāĥ; Vol.11/Pg253, Lahore edition]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Assalam to you,

I am here to say and seek ur help as i really tried very hard to get out of this problum and there is no on to help me in this regards as being a muslim everybody feels that i don't deserve the rights to live peaceful life.

I am Shamim Sheikh, aged 34, residing with my parents in Bombay,

I got married at the age of 14 years, to the Person name Mumtiaz Ahmed, residing at BOMBAY CASSETTE CENTRE, CHOTA PUL, NAINETAL ROAD, KULHADA PEER BAREILLY (U P) from that day my life became miserable as i can't conveive or could not have child so my husband and his family memebers made my life miserable..but i was carrying out this relationship as i have 4 sister to be married so thinking of their future i have continued with this relationship and tried hard to go smoothly with everything...but all gone in drain after 14 years of our marriage when without my knowledge my husband got second marriage recently and brought that another women to home i have asked him to divorce he is not ready to divorce me even , and not even single penny he is giving me maintenenece as i am staying with my parents now and i phoned him up he says neither i will divorce you nor i will keep you with me i will make your life miserable....i really no way to go anywhere or nor i can settle my life somewhere as i am not even divorced..so please guide me or my husband according to sharia and kindly pull me out this horrible well so that i can start somthing of the other to live peacefully- my number is 09320777346.

i awaiting for your favourable reply and guidence and help.

thanking you

shamim

Allah Hafiz

Sayed Mujahid said...

AHMED RAZA was a illegate child or say Haram ke aulad as to the barellvi belief if a deobandi makes the nikah ceremony that is not valid and has to made by some sunni maulana but in case of ahmed raza his fathers marriage was done by DEOBANDI maulana so this means that marrage was not legal, and hence the product of that marrage is also illegal....